SRI LANKAN MUSLIM COMMUNITY OF EAST LONDON is well known as SLMC East London which is a registered charity in the UK (Reg No: 1131486).
Sri Lankan Muslim Community of East London (SLMC EL) was found in 2008 by a group of Sri Lankan men with the aim of serving and bringing up the community in all aspects, and also to empower our next generation.
It is to be highlighted here that according to some statistics majority of Sri Lankan Muslims live in Newham compared to any other boroughs in the UK, so it was a timely need to form such an organisation to enhance and educate the community.
The main aims and objectives of Sri Lankan Muslim Community of East London (SLMC East London) are :
- The provision of facilities for recreation and other leisure time occupation of persons who have need of such facilities by reason of their youth, age, infirmity or disablement, financial hardship or social and economic circumstances or for the public at large in the interest of social welfare and within the object of improving the condition of life said persons.
- The advancement of education by such means as the executive committee may determine.
- The relief of sickness and the preservation and protection of health.
- The promotion of religious harmony for the benefit of the public by:
- Educating the Muslims in different religious beliefs including as awareness of their distinctive features and their common ground to promote good relations between persons of different faiths
- Promoting knowledge and mutual understanding and respect of the beliefs and practices of different religious faiths.
- The relief of financial hardship by the provision of goods / services which could not otherwise be afforded due to lack of means.
- To act as a resource for young people up to the age of 21 living in east London by providing advice, assistance and organising programmers’ of physical, educational and other activities as a means of:
- Advancing in life and helping young people by developing their skills, capacities and capabilities to enable them to participate in society as independent, mature and responsible individuals.
- Advancing education.
- Relieving unemployment.